Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Jessalyn's Story

Jessalyn Taylor May Lewis was born Oct 7, 2005. We were blessed to recieve a phone call October 11th, telling us that we had been chosen by her birthmother, Marie, to adopt her. My husband and I quickly reserved airline tickets, and flew to Arizona to pick her up. We met our daughter for the first time when she was five days old. We walked into a church in Flagstaff, AZ at 2 pm on October 12th. We were so nervous, What do you say to someone who is giving you their child? We had so many emotions running through our minds and bodies that we jsut didn't know what to ask, say, think... Anything.

We were then taken to a room where Jessalyn's birthmother was waiting. She seemed just as nervous as we did. We had some small chat for awhile and she told us about herself and Jessalyn. She also told a the little she knew about Jessalyn's birthfather. Apparently Jessalyn's birthfather had passed away when Marie was a couple months pregnant. She is such a strong woman! I still regret the fact that we were only able to talk to Marie for 20 minutes! It just doesn't seem long enough. It was at that time that we also agreed on contact obligations. She asked for letters and pictures and we were more than happy to comply. It was the least we could do! After our short chat Marie went and got Jessalyn and brought her to us.

WOW! I can't begin to tell you how that felt. The moment Jessalyn was placed in my arms I knew that she was mine. I knew that I was her mom and she was my baby. I never had a doubt. She fit! That's all, she just fit, perfectly.

We took a few pictures and then we were off, we were now new parents to a beautiful baby girl. What do we do now? Well, we need to go buy diapers, formula, bottles, clothes!!! AAAAHHHHH! It was really overwhelming. Then with the laws in Arizona and Nevada (where we lived) we had to wait 2 weeks before we could take her home. So we went to a hotel apartment. It was the most amazing two weeks. Jake and I were able to bond so strongly with our baby and we could ask for more.

The next few months went by without a hitch.
We were able to take Jessalyn to court and have everything finalized for her adoption on April 18th, 2006. THe judge hearing our case told us something I will never forget. He said "When I sign these adoption papers, Jessalyn is no longer your adopted child, she is YOUR child. She is to be treated as your child and no differently. God placed her in your home because that is where she belongs." He couldn't have been more right. OUr home is exactly where she belongs! We love her so much and are so blessed to have her in our home to bring us joy and to teach us soooo many lessons.
Here is my first adoption story, what's yours?

1 comment:

Hanna said...

What a beautiful story! I love how each adoption is so different, the circumstances, the way the birthparents find you, etc. But one thing is true of all of them, they are MIRACULOUS! Thanks for sharing!