Thursday, June 19, 2008

Colby's Story

Colby Elam Scott Lewis was born June 30th 2007. He is a beautiful baby boy and we are so blessed to have him in our home. On June 25th of 2007 we were called by our agency (LDS Family Services) and told that we had been chosen by a birthmother in Tennessee to adopt her baby, she didn't know if it was a boy or girl and she was due any day. We weren't even told her name yet, and we forgot to ask until later. We were so excited we didn't know what to do. We had planned a camping trip on the 29th and we were debating whether or not we were going to go. So we decided that we would go and then come back Saturday so that we could check our phones and see if anything happened.

Well we walked in the door Saturday morning, we all took showers and then I laid down on the coach, and fell asleep. My first instinct was to do laundry and get the house cleaned for no real reason except that it real NEEDED to get done, but I then woke from my nap at 11 am on the couch to my phone ringing. A little boy had been born at 10 that morning and we needed to come and get him!! "A boy!! A boy!!" That's all I could say, Jake was just trying to figure everything out and Jessalyn thought someone was hurt, so she was crying.

Then we pulled it together and Jake went to the airport to get tickets and I hurried and packed (dirty clothes eeewwww) and got us ready to go. We flew into Knoxville at 10 pm and so we went straight to our hotel and prepared to meet Rachel and Colby the next morning.

We got up the next morning and headed to the hospital. We had to call up to her room to get a special code to come in and when Rachel answered the phone I just remember thinking she sounded like an angel. So we typed in the code and up we went. We walked into the room and Rachel was on the bed, Colby in the bassinette. She was amazing and so strong, very quiet, and very nervous as were we. Colby was so content.

I remeber picking him up and Jessalyn at my side I looked over at her with tears in my eyes and she said "that's my baby." I giggled and said, your right he is our baby. We were able to take Colby from the hospital Monday, July 2.

We had to stay in Knoxville for two and a half weeks. My mom was able to come up for a week (and we, especially Jessalyn were so greatful) and help us out. She is amazing. We were also blessed to be able to meet and get to know his birth family a little better, they are all amazing and strong people. We love them so much.

Colby is an amazing baby. He is the happiest baby I have ever seen, he has the most infectious smile and laugh and we just love him so much. He fits. He and Jessalyn play amazingly well and love each other so much. We are so blessed.

Thank you Rachel- for making us whole!

No comments: